Preston North End 4-1 Southampton

Preston North End supporter's team hosted their first IFA home match. The game went ahead at North End's Springfields training ground complex.

Everything was set for the Preston lads, a great chance to show the visitors what there all about. This is Preston's first season in the Internet Football Association. Preston have picked up some good results already this season, drawing against Watford and Crystal Palace.

The players were given the privilege of using the player’s facilities, which included the changing rooms. All the players arrived on time, set for the kick-off. The Southampton players who had made the 300 mile long trip from the south were all ready for the referee’s whistle.

Match programme in hand, around 20 fans had made the trip to watch our game. The game kicked off on time, Preston in all yellow with the visitors in white and red stripes. North End fielded a strong line up, looking to win their first home match of the season.

Southampton took the ball to North End in the opening minutes. It was the visitors who look the lead, direct from a corner kick. Southampton won a corner within the first 10 minutes of the match. The in-swinging corner was too much for PNE to handle as it deluded everyone to sneak in at the back post.

The pressure of the first home match, in front of a watching audience was going to the player’s heads. The rain poured down from the heavens, soaking everyone wet through. North End started to get a foot hold in the match, starting to pass to ball around on the excellent surface.

Preston found themselves back in the match midway through the first half. Prior to the equaliser Pete, Lewis and Atky were playing some good one touch football down the right flank. It was Pete who managed to get the goal back for Preston. Pete collected the ball at his feet inside the box, side stepped one defender, took his time and blasted the ball past the keeper.

Pete levels the score

North End started to get their act together. John and Dave were showing their experience at the back, keeping Southampton at bay. North End soon later took the lead from a well worked goal. Steve and Jim in the middle of the park started to create attacks for the yellows. Allan, playing along side Pete upfront took the ball wide right. The tall striker passed a low ball across goal for Potter. Potter who was advancing from midfield managed to slide towards the ball to tap the ball into an empty net.

Potter gives PNE the lead

The yellows were well on top at this point of the match. Southampton had a few attacks on goal only for Chris in nets to pick the pieces up. North End’s sheer pressure got the better of the away side. Preston’s made the most of the smooth pitch, stringing a series of passes together.

Jimmy could have put Preston ahead. The former Chester City youth player made a surging run into the box. Jimmy took one touch to many for the Southampton keeper to get a touch on the ball. North End continued to keep the pressure on the visitors, looking to extend on their lead.

Preston found themselves 3-1 just before the break. A nice move from the Lilywhites resulted in player/manger Steve grabbing his first goal for the team. North End had the ball towards the right wing. The ball was played back across towards the on-rushing Steve, were the goal of the season was about to take place. Steve connected just at the right time to send the ball flying with curl right into the top corner.

Steve gives PNE a 3-1 lead

Preston made the most of this moment, mobbing Steve after his corker of a goal. Later Steve admitted that he would never be able to do that again.

Steve gets mobbed

The first half came to a close, Preston deserving their 3-1 lead. Steve made a few changes at the half way point, Alex, Stewart and Andy l their bows. The rain finally stopped for the second half to commence.  Chances were few and far between in the second half. Preston started to play the ball towards target man Andy. Andy started to use his pace to get behind the Southampton defence. 

Goal scorer, Potter picked up a knock for Johnny to replace the left winger. It was Johnny who put the score beyond Southampton’s reach. Johnny used his great pace and control to race pace a number of defenders. Johnny managed to release a shot towards goal which found its way past the keeper.

Preston started to pass the ball around the park, creating some good chances but failing to add to the four goals already scored. The match ended, not more goals being scored. It was a top performance from all the players who were fortunate to play.





Top Home Email