Match pictures here

North End welcomed Queens Park Rangers to Springfield's' for the 11:00am kick-off. This will be the toughest test so far for the North End players.

QPR travelled north with a strong team looking to build on their unbeaten record. Preston on the other hand were looking to build on their impressive forum, in their first season in the IFA.

This was a high tempo match between both sets of fans, with bookings, vicious tackles, a punch up, good skills on display, total commitment from both teams.

The first half was a close thought battle, both teams putting on a great defensive display. QPR had the better of the chances but failed to beat Chris in goal. Preston found it hard to break down the visitors midfield, leaving Allan and Pete without any service.

North End did muster up one or two chances, failing to put the visitors keeper under any pressure. The first half ended 0-0, all the North End team getting a pat on the back from assistant Gary.

A few changes were made at half time to freshen things up. Within minutes of the restart QPR won a penalty, Alex Higgins was guilty of hand ball in his own box. Chirs almost saved the resulting penalty leaving QPR with a 1-0 lead.

The Preston players head's didn't drop as they looked for a way back into the match. North End pressed and pressed as the second half flew past. The whites got the break through mid way through the first half.

North End won a free-kick about 25 yards from goal. Jimmy Higgins stepped up to take the set piece. Jimmy got underneath the ball to fire the ball over the wall and over the stunned keeper to level t he score at 1-1.

The match pressed on as it started to get a little heated. Some late challenges were flying about from both teams as tempers flared. The referee got a grip on the game calming the players down.

North End started to press for a winning goal, unfortunately Preston were hit on the counter attack. Preston were caught napping at the back only for the QPR striker to slot the ball nicely into the bottom left corner. 2-1 to QPR, North End had to try their best to get something out of the match.

The Lilywhites kicked off for the third in the match. Time was running out for the Preston players. Andy who was kept quiet for most of the game came life towards the end of the match. Andy danced past two or three QPR defenders, he was brought down inside the 18 yard box as the referee waved play on.

That mistake was could of been a crucial blow to Preston. It was all a distant memory soon after, one of the QPR defenders passed the ball back to his own keeper which was deemed a "back pass".

Preston were awarded another free-kick, Jimmy stepped up once again to take the set piece. This one was closer to the goal but nothing stopped Jimmy rifling the ball into the back of the net. Sending the North End players into raptures celebrations.

The final score ended 2-2. This was a thrilling end to a great game of football. All credit to QPR for making the trip to Preston. Thanks again to everyone who took part!

Top: Des, Pete, Allan, Jimmy, Alex, Chris, Jimmy, Mike, Potter, Dan, Stewart

Bottom: Steve, Ash, Johnny, Lewis, John, Dan, Andy, Atky





Top Home Email